Wednesday, October 10, 2007

STEP IT UP - WIKI-WIKI CHICAS!

I like to think I’m really slow at kick-boarding because I have dainty feet. (Duke Kahanamoku was an Olympic medalist in both swimming and surfing presumably because he had massive feet – in addition to Incredible Hulk-like upper body strength)

I’ve been trying to ‘step up’ my workouts in preparation for SD to PV race (not just to be fit & strong – but also because the temps can tickle the 80s and I have this sexy sundress I want to wear when we collect our trophy). So the first thing I did was candidly review my weekly workout schedule, which it looks like this:

Daily
Walk the dog repeatedly (barely increases my heart rate but is good upper body workout as we tug-of-war over who’s in charge: me or Rusty) -- although length of walk is random

Monday
Half hour cardio, half hour upper body workout

Tuesday
Half hour cardio, half hour abs and legs

Wednesday
One hour aqua aerobics plus one-two hours beercan racing (varies in intensity!)

Thursday
Half hour cardio with full hour weight lifting

Friday -
Off - unless I'm pathetic and don't have a date (which is often) and then I go to the gym at night

Saturday / Sunday -
Hour-long dog walks along the bluffs plus occasional visit to the gym depending on work sked, sailing sked, and lack of dates

Well gee, this looks kind of pathetic!

So I’ve been thinking about stepping it up, and these are a few ways …

1) Increase the time of existing workouts

a. kickboard or do laps 10-15 min following water aerobics

b. add 10-15 min of cardio after my weight training @ the gym

c. time the dog walks and establish a ‘minimum’

d. pump up the weights and/or reps on exercises

2) Schedule my workouts in my calendar

a. increase regularity of workouts so I’m doing something every day

b. treat my workouts as any other important appts that are ‘etched in stone’

c. have my workout bag and clothes clean, packed and ready to go

d. keep it varied so I’m exercising different muscle groups

And this all brings me to: Denise’ 8-Week-Wiki-Wiki*-Chica-Workout.

There’s a reason Denise has that teeny tiny waist and cutie bootie (which she showed the RC at the Charity Regatta … )! This is a real kick-butt workout that builds over a period of eight weeks. It’s a combo of strength training (M,W,F) and cardio (T,Th,Sat) alternating between a steady pace cardio workout (40 min) or intervals (28 min). It involves sprinting (call the waaaambulance!) or fast walking at an incline. Let me know if you want me to send you a copy: I’ll just send the first four-weeks so as not to scare anyone ;-)

I have a goal in mind for myself (Yeah. Be like the Amazing Kreskin and guess - ‘cause I’m sure as hell not going to publish my weight on the web) and – although we’re holding right now during the parental-unit visit and pending LEMWOD and birthday cockcake extravaganza – I am going to STEP IT UP starting Oct. 22.

I’ll keep you posted. Email me anything you want and I’ll post your input and/or use the comment function (below)

Aloha, Wiki-Wiki-Chicas!

* wiki-wiki = fast

No comments: